- Use dormant, previous season's growth.
- Must have clean cuts with unsplit ends.
- Must be straight, healthy and robust.
- Cut with a sharp knife or good quality shears.
- Avoid the terminal top 10 cm.
- Keep length of 15-20 cm or more.
- Ensure mid-stem diameter is at least 2 cm.
- Maintain at least two healthy buds.
- Take cuttings just before planting or bundle and cold store.
- Plant during dormant season.
- Soak cuttings in water 24 hours before planting.
- Plant with as little stem exposed as possible, but with at least 2 buds above ground.
- Plant firmly so the cutting cannot be readily moved or pulled out.