Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations

Road Permit

A road permit is needed to construct, use and maintain a road if the access is not a forest service road or under another tenure.  If necessary, the road permit may include cutting authority for the timber within the road right of way.  A road permit authorizing construction can only be applied for after FRPA planning requirements have been met.  If the road is an existing, non-status road (an older, abandoned road with no active tenure), a road permit is required for industrial use and maintenance.

The road permit document has provisions that:

  • Define the legal area of interest (the permit area described on the Exhibit A map)

  • Define the rights granted (including, if necessary, the harvest of timber within clearing area)

  • Set the term (beginning date and criteria for termination)

  • Establish that permit rights are non-exclusive, (other than timber authorized for harvesting within the clearing area).

  • Link any timber harvesting under the permit with the cut control specifications and waste assessment requirements of specific agreements.

  • Identify the timber mark(s) for any timber harvested from the clearing area.

An RP that includes cutting authority is always associated with at least one agreement for cut control purposes, but technically is considered a stand-alone agreement under the Forest Act.

An RP provides ongoing, non-exclusive authority for industrial use.  The public and other industrial users can use a road that is under RP.  Other industrial users are required by legislation to give the RP holder notice of use and to pay the RP holder a reasonable cost for maintenance.


Procedures & Manual