The Range Program administers both Tenures under the Range Act and Leases under the Lands Act. This page discusses Range Leases. Please go to our main Legislation page to read about Tenures (Grazing and Haycutting Licenses and Permits) under the Range Act.

Please note: the Range Program is not accepting new applications for Range Leases at this time.

Range Program - Grazing Lease Administration

Grazing leases are a 20 year tenure issued under the Land Act.  They are administered and renewed by Provincial and District Range staff.  Applications for new grazing leases are not available.  An existing grazing lease can be applied for upon its expiry only by the existing lessee. The Grazing Lease Program under the Land Act is not accepting applications for new Grazing Leases.


Who May Apply for a Replacement Lease?

Individuals and agricultural corporations are eligible to apply for replacement grazing leases if they meet the following criteria:

Individuals must:

  • be a Canadian Citizen or landed immigrant 19 years of age or older;
  • presently hold a grazing lease in good standing on the subject land;
  • be engaged in the operation of the farm or ranch, which includes the grazing leasehold for which the application is made.

Agricultural corporations must:

  • presently hold either:
    • a grazing lease in good standing on the subject land, or
    • a lease that expired in good standing over the subject land;
  • have two-thirds of the voting shares of the corporation owned by Canadian citizens or by persons who have qualified for permanent residence in Canada;
  • have fifty-one percent of the voting shares of the corporation actively involved in the daily management of the farm/ranch; and
  • file a statutory declaration at the time of application stating that the principal business of the corporation is the operation of a farm or ranch in British Columbia for the purpose of producing agricultural products.

Under What Terms are Replacement Leases Available?

Replacement grazing leases are disposed of by direct offer in response to an application. The normal lease term is 20 years. Leases are issued with option for mid-term replacement.

Fees and Rents

For Application Fees, refer to Land Tenure Purpose and Application Fees (effective April 1, 2013).

Annual rent payments are the GREATER OF the Base Rent or the Forage Fee. Minimum annual rent is $500.

  • Base Rent is calculated every 5 years at 1% of the actual value of the land as established by the B.C. Assessment Authority.
  • Forage Fee is a productivity formula calculated annually and is based on livestock, price and range productivity.

Special Requirements

Grazing lease applicants must submit a management plan for approval by the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations.

A grazing lease assignment must be approved. Eligibility requirements must be met for a grazing lease to be assigned.

Other parties may be authorized to enter and remove any or all timber located on a Crown grazing leasehold.

Public access and off-road vehicle use on grazing leases requires permission from the leaseholder. Refer to the handout Grazing Lease and Off-road Vehicle Access for more information.

The most common reason for delay is submission of an incomplete application, which is then returned to the applicant. To ensure an application is processed as quickly as possible, be sure to complete all the required documents identified in the Requirements Checklist [pdf, 125Kb] and submit the required Application Fee.

If your application is accepted, you will be notified if Advertising [pdf, 147Kb] is required. Please wait for confirmation before advertising.