Windthrow Assessment. Reducing Windthrow in Partial Cuts and RMAs.
Purpose of this exercise is to:
- provide learners with further practice in field assessment including
recognition of hazard indicators
- have learners consider biophysical hazard, treatment risk and potential
impacts and comment on prescription modifications for different target
stands (e.g., uniform thin vs group openings).
- learn how to recognize indicators of biophysical hazard in the field
- learn how to assess treatment risk in the field
- gain experience in recommending prescription modifications to reduce
windthrow risk in partial cuts and RMAs
This exercise was designed to be carried out in the field. Be sure to
prepare properly by wearing all appropriate field gear including a hard
hat. You will be working with the FS 712 field cards. Work with a local
expert to arrange visits to suitable sites in your area. Contact a colleague
familiar with windthrow hazard and history in your area and arrange to
take a tour together. The text that follows is for information only.
Click here to view Exercise Background