Silviculture Prescription Walkthrough Reconnaissance and Disease Assessment and Stratification Survey
Day 2 - Field Session 2
Perform/Observe Steps 2 and 3 of the Five-Phase Management Process - about 4 hours
- Perform a Silviculture Prescription Walkthrough Reconnaissance
- Determine the level of disease
- Recommend for or against a survey and a survey method
- Observe a survey which has been pre-arranged
- Observe the forest site and disease conditions where data were collected for use in Classroom Session 3
- Learn how to conduct a field reconnaissance (walkthrough) and record requisite information.
- Learn how to determine threshold levels of a root disease infestation under field conditions and when to conduct a survey.
- Become familiar with the types of survey methods which can be used under regional and site circumstances and their strengths and weaknesses.
- Perform a silviculture walkthrough assessment and discuss results in view of the threshold tables on pages 37 and 38 of the RDM Guide (Step 2).
- Based on walkthrough observations, determine whether a survey is necessary; if so, discuss the types of surveys which would be suitable and the reasons supporting this recommendation (preparing for Step 3).
- Examine the survey which the instructor has prepared ahead of time.
- Visually assess the results of the instructor's prepared survey.
- Discuss the reasons why this survey type was chosen.
- Observe forest site and disease conditions where data were collected which will be used in Classroom Session 4.
[Participant's Guide Table of Contents]
[Root Disease Management Course Home Page]