[Ministry of Forests Annual Report 1993/94 Table of Contents]
- Estimated total area harvested in B.C. between 1851 and 1991, in hectares: 92 million. Estimated area of the productive forest harvested: 22 per cent.
- Year the Forest Service planted the first reforestation seedling: 1930.
The two-billionth: 1989.
The three-billionth: 1993.
- Land owned by the Crown in British Columbia: 94 per cent. Public forest lands that must be reforested after harvesting, by law: 100 per cent. More area has been planted than harvested each year since: 1986.
- Time to develop B.C.ís ecological classification system: 15 years.
Investment: $30 million.
Biogeoclimatic zones: 14.
Distinct ecosystems identified to date: 1,100.
- Reference questions handled in 1993/94 by the ministry library: 8,321. Items circulated: 6,969.
Database searches done: 274.
Reprints distributed: 3,914.
Inter-library loans: 1,780.
- Transactions processed in 1993/94 by the ministryís central computer: 65 million.
- Harvesting field inspections
- Allowable annual cut as of March 31, 1994 on lands regulated by the ministry, in cubic metres: 70.4 million. Harvested from those lands, in cubic metres: 66.2 million.
- Natural frequency of surface fires in B.C. forests, for ponderosa pine forests, in years: 5 to 15. For the Mountain Hemlock Zone, in years: 500.
- Total Research Program expenditures in 1993/94: $20.1 million.
- Total Silviculture expenditures under all ministry-funded programs: $210.6 million.
- Not satisfactorily restocked (NSR) area in 1993/94, in hectares: 1.3 million. Projected NSR backlog in 2000, in hectares: 0.
- Estimated number of visits to B.C.ís public forest lands in 1993/94 by residents: 45 + million.
Estimated number of visits by non-residents: eight million.
- In 1993/94 the Recreation program provided recreation opportunities at or on:
- 1,395 recreation sites
- 80 interpretive forest sites
- 535 recreation trails
- nine heritage trails
- Recreation maps distributed to the public in 993/94: 200,000.
Overall expenditures (made by visitors) generated by recreation visits to B.C.ís forests: $2.4 billion.
- Total forest industry shipments
1993/94: $13.8 billion
1992/93: $11.1 billion
Up: 24 per cent
- Newsprint production
1993/94: 1.9 million tonnes
1992/93: 1.5 million tonnes
Up: 24 per cent
- Average price of northern bleached softwood kraft pulp
1993: US$425 / tonne
1992: US$550 / tonne
Down: 29 per cent
- Average administered stumpage charges of major licences in 1993/94, per cubic metre: $13.75.
Same charge in 1992/93: $9.22.
- Sample plots ecologically assessed in 1993/94: 742. Assessed the year before: 652.
- Provincial forest land base re-inventoried, in hectares: 3.7 million. Number of map sheets: 253.
- Digitized map sheets updated in 1993/94 for depletions: 3,004. Collective area, in hectares: 45 million.
Percentage of the provincial land base: about 50 per cent.
- Days of quality training provided by Forest Inventory staff in 1993/94: 2,831. Expressed as years: 7.76.
- Crown land area planted in 1993/94, in hectares: 94,728
Planted in 1993/94, in hectares: 188,695.
- Seedlings shipped in 1993/94 from the three ministry nurseries: 27 million. Shipped the year before: 17.5 million.
- Area affected by major forest insects in 1983/84, in hectares: 859,235. In 1993/94, in hectares: 641,250.
- Cones processed for seed extraction at the Surrey Tree Centre, in hectolitres: 19,200. Seed produced in 1993/94 by provincial seed orchards: equivalent to 277.5 + million seedlings.
- Area treated in 1993/94 under FRDA II in all regions, in hectares: 36,235.
The same number in 1992/93: 29,375
- Percentage of 1993/94 FRDA II expenditures spent through the Sustainable Forest Development Sub-program: 83.4
- Percentage of planted trees originating from seeds collected from wild stands: 90. Percentage from parent trees in seed orchards: 10.
- Seedlings planted on Crown land in 1993/94 to replace trees destroyed by fire, damaged by pests or harvested: 225.7 million.
- Ministry-funded silviculture expenditures in 1983/84: $88.0 million.
In 1993/94: $210.6 million.
- Species of seedlings planted throughout the province: 19.
Species often planted at the same site: two or three.
- Seedlings planted in 1983/84: 106.4 million.
Planted in 1993/94: 225.9 million.
Norm: 2,800 / season
- Timber burned by wildfires in 1993/94, in cubic metres: 1,009,300.
Timber damaged by forest pests and diseases in 1993/94, in cubic metres: 12,178.
- Area burned by wildfires in 1993/94, in hectares: 4,709.
Area planted in 1993/94, in hectares: 189,557.
- Average area burned by wildfires each year since 1983/84, in hectares: 54,689. Area burned in 1993/94, expressed as a percentage of that average: 8.6.
- Wildfires caused by lightning
1993/94: 41 per cent
1992/93: 63 per cent
Average: 48 per cent
- Aviation flight hours
- SBFEP registrants at March 31, 1994: 2,245. Market loggers: 83 per cent. Small sawmills or remanufacturing plants: 17 per cent.
- Seedlings planted under the SBFEP
1993/94: 26.5 million.
1992/93: 18.0 million
- Person-years of employment generated by the SMFRA program in 1993/94: 23. Generated in 1992/93: 33.