This guide presents a site classification and interpretative information for wetlands and related ecosystems of British Columbia. Site identification is based upon principles of Biogeoclimatic Ecosystem Classification (BEC) modified for wetland ecosystems.
The objectives of the classification are:
- to provide a framework for organizing ecological information and management experience about ecosystems;
- to promote a better understanding of wetlands and related ecosystems;
- to provide users with a common language to describe wetland ecosystems; and
- to provide an ecological basis for management of wetlands.
The Research Branch of British Columbia's Ministry of Forests initiated a program in 1994 to classify and describe the wetlands and riparian areas of British Columbia. Its central intent was to generate basic ecological information about these important ecosystems. This guide represents one aspect of the Wetland and Riparian Ecosystem Classification (WREC) initiative and has two principal goals:
- to assist users in describing and identifying wetland ecosystems; and
- to provide management interpretations to assist in conservation of wetlands ecosystems.
Download Land Management Handbook 52 PDF file (4122 KB)
To view this document you need the current version of
Adobe Acrobat Reader, available free from the
Adobe Web Site.
Updated April 26, 2007