Forest Investment Account (FIA) - Land Base Investment Program
FIA Project 4932004

    Gorman Bros. Invasive Plant FIA Project 2008/2009 FIA Fiscal Year
Project lead: Hardy, Randy (Gorman Bros. Lumber Ltd.)
Author: Scott, Lisa
Subject: Forest Investment Account (FIA), British Columbia
Series: Forest Investment Account (FIA) - Land Base Investment Program
In recent decades there has been a tremendous expansion of invasive plants invading natural areas across the province. The Southern Okanagan (particularly valley bottoms and lower to middle elevations that have experienced soil disturbance due to ranching, road building activities and pine beetle induced tree mortality) is being severely impacted by the spread of these invasive plants. As these invasive species spread, they can alter the structure and function of natural grassland and forested ecosystems. For effective invasive plant management to occur, there must be cooperative and coordinated participation of all stakeholders within a geographic area. To this end, a project with Gorman Bros. Lumber (with financial support from FIA -Forest Investment Account) was initiated in 2008-09 that involved inventory, mapping and treatment of priority invasive plants on Crown land west of Penticton. This project also involved financial support of BC Transmission Corporation, and partnership with the Ministry of Forests and Range and Bobtail Ranch. The general project location includes the southern portion of the Trout Creek Community Watershed - located approximately 14 km southwest of Summerland - and the Shingle Creek Community Watershed (including Riddle Creek) - located approximately 17 km west of Penticton (see Figure 1).
Gorman Bros. Contracted Lisa Scott (Eco-Matters Consulting) to manage the project on behalf of the South Okanagan-Similkameen Invasive Plant Society (hereafter referred to as SOSIPS).


Final Report (0.2Mb)

To view PDF documents you need Adobe Acrobat Reader, available free from the Adobe Web Site.

Updated August 16, 2010 

Search for other  FIA reports or other Ministry of Forests and Range publications.

Please direct questions or comments regarding publications to