Reporting of Natural Resource Violations:

We all play a role in protecting our natural resources. If you witness or are aware of a Natural Resource Violation, please fill out a Report of Natural Resource Violation form. Alternately individuals can call 1 877-952-7277, ( Option 2) toll-free or #7277 on a cellphone. The caller will then have the option of reporting the suspected violation to the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations - Compliance and Enforcement Branch, or the Ministry of Environment’s Conservation Officer Service, depending on the type of incident involved

Natural Resource Violations may include illegal or unauthorized activities related to:

  • use of water (or works in and about water)
  • use of fire in forests or on grasslands
  • development or use of Crown land
  • forestry operations
  • aggregate extraction
  • culturally sensitive sites and artifacts
  • forest service roads
  • damage to the environment due to use of off-road vehicles
  • habitat damage
  • forest recreation sites and trails
  • Crown pastures and associated livestock

Read more about identifying Natural Resource Violations:

PLEASE NOTE: The Natural Resource Violation reporting line is not an immediate emergency response telephone number. If you wish to report an immediate threat to public safety or a life threatening situation requiring Police, Fire, or Ambulance, please call 911. If 911 is not available in your area, call the Local Police, Fire or Ambulance services.

What happens when you file a report?

Natural Resource Officers investigate suspected violations of natural resource legislation administered by the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations.

Every Report of Natural Resource Violation received is reviewed by Natural Resource Officers to determine the appropriate response. A Natural Resource Officer may contact you for additional information that may be relevant to the investigation and that could assist in any related prosecution or administrative hearing.

Reporting Other Resource Issues

To report a violation related to environmental protection (e.g. pollution), fishing (except salmon-related violations) hunting or problem wildlife, visit the Conservation Officer Service's website or call the Conservation Officer Service at 1 877 952-7277, ( Option 1) (as of May 16, 2016 is now a shared reporting phone number with the Ministry of Forests, Lands & Natural Resource Operations).

Violations related to marine environments or ocean fisheries should be reported to Fisheries and Oceans Canada at 1 800 465-4336.

Do you have other natural resource concerns?

If your concern does not involve a contravention of legislation or if you need to find out where to report another concern, contact FrontCounter BC:

Thank you for taking the time to report a Natural Resource Violation. All of the collected information is valuable and contributes to the protection of British Columbia’s natural resources. 


If you want to report a public health or safety matter, please call 911 or the police.

Report a Natural Resource Violation

  » Report of Natural Resource Violation form

Web Page Last Updated: May 15, 2016