Skookumchuck Exclosure (circa 1950)
The first exclosure established in the Rocky Mountain Forest District was constructed in April of 1950 on Skookumchuck Prairie. This exclosure was built by James Milroy, to show local ranchers that plant communities could change by restricting grazing. He was also instrumental in building many other exclosures throughout the province.
In 1994, the Ministry of Forests, in conjunction with Forest Renewal BC, gave the rangeland reference area program a new beginning. Between 1994 and 1998, seven new exclosures were constructed, with a total of 12 sites being established in the District.
For more information see the Ministry of Forests Provincial Rangeland Reference Webpage.