Special Use Permits

A special use permit (SUP) gives non-exclusive authority to a company or an individual to occupy and use an area of Crown Land, within the Provincial Forest, when they have demonstrated to the District Manager that the intended use is in accordance with the Provincial Forest Use Regulation.

The following information is to be used as a guide when preparing an application for a special use permit.

A Licence to Cut may be required as part of your special use permit.  A Licence to Cut authorizes a company or an individual to cut and deck/remove timber from land that they occupy or own, where they otherwise do not have the right to harvest Crown timber.  The following information outlines what information is needed if a Licence to Cut is necessary for the special use permit application.

Please note it is your responsibility to ensure that your proposed tree cutting is in compliance with any applicable local municipal or regional district tree cutting bylaws, before applying to us for a Licence to Cut.


Consultation with the Council of the Haida Nation may be required as part of the review process for your Licence to Cut application.


Please ensure that no tree cutting occurs until you have obtained a licence to cut document signed by the DM.

Inquiries can be directed to the District office at 250-559-6200.