Campbell River Natural Resource District


Foreshore Wood Collection

Printer-friendly version

Can I collect wood from the beach? (including firewood, driftwood, bark etc.)

There are different considerations above and below the high-tide line.  The area where the beach is regularly wetted by the tides is below the high-tide line.  Any wood below the high-tide line is within the Vancouver Island Log Salvage District and removal requires a Marine Log Salvage Permit as per Section 124 of the Forest Act.

Wood above the high tide-line and on Crown Land can be collected provided that:

  • Wood is for personal use only and will not be sold or traded

  • Wood is less than 3m (10ft) in length

  • Wood is beach worn, free of bark and rounded on both ends

  • Wood does not have a hammer mark or timber brand on either end

  • Wood is not on Crown foreshore land within or adjacent to the following areas:

  1. Ecological reserves,

  2. Federal, Provincial, Regional or Municipal Parks  (see map for Campbell River area) or

  3. Foreshore licence/leases

Do Not Remove Wood From:
  • Private Land
  • First Nations Reserves

No right of access onto or through these lands is given or implied.  The onus is on the person wishing to collect beach wood to determine the ownership of the foreshore.

Persons engaging in collecting wood will assume all risk of loss or injury and save harmless the Crown for all and any claims.

Best Practices

Residual sawdust or debris resulting from the collection of wood must be kept to a minimum and must not be allowed to accumulate.  Special care must be used to prevent oil or grease pollution.

Motorized vehicles must not be operated on the foreshore land or beach and must not block sidewalks or paths.


Thank you for your co-operation.