Forest Service Roads - Engineering


The Engineering Department of the Chilliwack Natural Resource District is responsible for the administration of more than 1,900 kilometres of Forest Service Roads and over 350 major structures

Forest Service Road Conditions, Warnings and Closures

The map below shows the Forest Service Roads, Recreation Sites and Trails in the Chilliwack Natural Resource District. Point and click on the FSR roads to find road condition information.

Please note that the Forest Service Road and Recreation Sites and Trails information on the interactive map is a general description of driving conditions and recreation site features and will not reflect temporary closures due to maintenance or hazards such as wildfire. Temporary closure notices are posted on the District home page

Please note: A road is closed for safety or environmental reasons. These closures are normally temporary in nature, so check back regularly for updated information. Be advised that there may be instances where an event on a road or bridge has not yet been identified. People using Forest Service Roads should do so with caution. Please report any road safety issues to the Chilliwack Natural Resource District office at 604-702-5700.

Please read the road safety, road use regulations and road policy information before travelling on forest service roads. 

The Province of British Columbia makes no representations or warranties regarding the accuracy, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or completeness of any information contained in or otherwise comprising this map.  Without limiting the foregoing, you are warned not to use this map for navigational purposes. This map may be generalized and may not reflect current conditions. Uncharted hazards may exist

Click on map below to view an interactive web map



Vehicles using snow covered roads may become stuck or trapped. There is a risk of avalanche in the higher elevations. Cellular telephone coverage is not available in many areas and there are very few opportunities for contact with emergency services or vehicle towing.

  • For a copy of the Forest Service Road Use Regulation click here

  • For information on safe travel on Forest Service Roads click here

Vehicle access is restricted on the following gated roads. Click here for list

Road Safety

BC Forest Safety - Guides and tools for Resource Road Users
Radio Calling Procedure - June 17, 2011 Chilliwack Forest Road Management Group
Driving Safe Procedure - May 1, 2009 Chilliwack Forest Road Management Group
Hazards associated with recently burnt areas  - Landslide and flooding risks due to wildfires

BC Forest Safety Council - Additional Safety Guides

Forest Service Road Use Regulations

Please note that Forest Service Road Use Regulations including speed restrictions and insurance requirements are in effect and enforced.  


Reporting Illegal Activities


Don't let thoughtless people ruin your visit to the wilderness. Observe, record and report any illegal dumping activities to:

  • Conservation Officer Service: 1-877-952-7277 or Cell #7277 (RAPP)
  • RCMP: 604-792-4611

Natural Resource Violation Reporting  Natural Resource Violation Report Form
Phone: 1-877-952-7277 or Cell #7277 (RAPP)

Reporting a Natural Resource Violation: We all play a roll in protecting our natural resources. If you witness or are aware of a natural resource violation, please fill out a Natural Resource Violation Report Form or call the Natural Resource Violation Reporting line at 1-844-NRO-TIPS (1-844-676-8477).

Please note that the Natural Resource Violation reporting line is not an emergency response number. If you wish to report an immediate threat to public safety or a life threatening situation requiring Police, Fire or Ambulance, please call 911. If 911 is not available in your area, call the local Police, Fire or Ambulance services.

To report a violation related to environmental protection (e.g. poluution), fishing (except salmon related violations), hunting or problem wildlife, visit the Conservation Officer Services website or call the Conservation Officer services at 1-877-952-7277 or cell #7277.

Violations related to marine environments or ocean fisheries should be reported to Fisheries and Oceans Canada at 1-800-465-4336


Forest Service Road Policy Overview

Other than roads used by the Ministry's Timber Sales Program, the Ministry, will no longer maintain Forest Service Roads (FSRs) with Industrial Use and, with few exceptions, will no longer maintain Forest Service roads for motor vehicle access where there is no industrial use.

  • The Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations will continue to maintain Community Use Forest Service Roads until further notice (where there is an industrial user, maintenance may be shared).
  • Although management for forest recreation is now under the jurisdiction of the Recreation Sites and Trails BC, the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resources will, subject to available funding, maintain limited access to established Recreation Sites and Trails.
  • Where responsibility for Forest Service road maintenance is not transferred or funded on a user-pay basis, those roads will be maintained to the "Wilderness Road" standard, or deactivated.
  • Roads may be temporarily closed where it would be difficult to provide for a reasonable level of user safety (due to the threat of landslides or bridge load restrictions).
  • Roads may be permanently deactivated where:
    • it becomes apparent that necessary repair work on a closed road cannot be carried out;
    • the road is located at the back end of a drainage (with little or no current use and no potential for expansion of access); or
    • the cost of maintenance outweighs the cost of deactivation.

Policy Definitions:

Industrial Use Forest Service Roads are roads that are owned and operated by the ministry, but maintenance is delegated to an industrial user.

Community Use Forest Service Roads are roads which access a year-round residential area with its own Post Office, or either a school located within it or school bus route to or from it. Populated reserves are included in this definition. They do not include roads that provide access to seasonal cabins, isolated residences, commercial operations, parks, or recreation sites.

Community Use Forest Service Road maintenance standards include user safety maintenance activities such as road surface maintenance and sight line brushing as well those activities required for the protection of the environment. User safety maintenance activities will be commensurate with the types of vehicles and pattern of use.

Wilderness Forest Service Roads are roads that are not defined as public or industrial use and where the responsibility for maintenance is not transferred or funded on a user-pay basis. Provision of access is not a ministry priority on wilderness roads.

Wilderness FSRs maintenance standards include those activities required for the protection of the environment, activities do not include surface maintenance or site line brushing. As such, only bridge repair and those maintenance projects required to mitigate environmental problems, like mass wasting or washouts, which may impact residential or worker safety, improvements, or natural resources, will be carried out. Wilderness road maintenance activities will include culvert and bridge removal, waterbars, partial or full pullback of side slopes and cross ditches. Washouts or road slumps may not be repaired.