|Volume 1 - Resource Management
Chapter 8 - Tenure Administration
8.16 - Cruise Based Sales
Effective Date: 01-Jan-95
Responsible Branch: Resource Tenures
and Engineering Branch
Resource Management Volume
Table of Contents | Amendment Log
This policy applies where timber is sold and billed based on only timber cruise
information. Cruise based sales are authorized by Section 106 ("cruise instead of
scale") of the Forest Act.
It is the intent of this policy to permit cruise based sales with appropriate
restrictions to minimize the risk of loss of revenue.
Timber cruising in the province is designed for scale based sales but can be
sufficiently accurate for cruise based sales in certain situations. The potential sources
of inaccuracy are the loss factors, taper equations, grade/quality, and area
Cruise based sales will only be approved when the Regional Manager, or delegated
District Manager, is satisfied that:
- the loss factors, taper equations, and grade/quality standards proposed for use are
appropriate; and that
- utilization will be improved (compared to scale based sales); or,
- administration will be simplified
Before timber is sold as a cruise based sale:
- the timber must be cruised, the area determined by closed traverse, and the cutting
boundaries and leave trees marked in the field; and,
- the cruise and compilation of the timber must be checked
- Cruise based sale: A cutting permit, timber sale licence, or other
cutting authority that provides for Crown timber to be sold and billed using the
provisions of Section 106 of the Forest Act.
- Loss factors: Estimates of decay, waste, and breakage that are used to
reduce the gross volume determined by a timber cruise to estimate the net volume.
- Taper Equations: A mathematical representation of the shape of the
tree, which is used to calculate tree volume.
Director, Timber Harvesting Branch
- to maintain policies and general procedures for the use of cruise based sales
Director, Valuation Branch
- to determine an acceptable standard of precision for timber cruises, cruise
compilations, area determination, and loss factors, and to set minimum standards for
determining local loss factors. This will minimize the risk of lost revenue for cruise
General Procedures for Policy 8.16 - Cruise Based Sales