As you work through this lesson, you will understand
how timber harvesting can be modified to accommodate the assessed
vulnerability of a karst area.
Issues and Challenges
What are some of the management issues associated with timber
harvesting on karst terrain?
- Minimizing the disturbance of karst soils to prevent soil
erosion and sediment transfer into subsurface karst environments
- Maintaining surface and subsurface water quality and quantity
- Maintaining stable microclimates around significant
- Maintaining critical karst surface processes above significant
- Protecting significant surface and subsurface karst features
- Protecting and conserving karst-dependent flora and fauna
- Maintaining recreational values of significant
surface karst features and cave entrances.