Adaptation Knowledge and Tools for Forest Stewardship
This site provides links to B.C.’s forest policy, tools and knowledge for adapting to climate change. Forest managers can use this information to adjust their plans and practices so that forests remain resilient in a changing and variable climate.
The Forest Policy and Guidance elements form part of B.C.’s forest management framework. They are under the auspices of the B.C. Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations.
Tools are ready to be used by forest managers for adapting to climate change.
Knowledge provides more in-depth information on incorporating adaptation into forest management.
- New! November 2013. The new MFLNRO Climate Change Strategy outlines a vision, goals, objectives, and next steps for the Ministry in taking action to address climate change. It sets the direction to embed climate change into all Ministry business between now and 2018.
- New! November 2013. ClimateNews – Fall 2013. This edition features the new FLNR Climate Change Strategy, provincial vulnerability assessment, climate change ready fish passages, and a wood product carbon calculator.
- October 2013. Climate Change Vulnerability Assessment for BC provides an overview of climate change impacts to water, soils, wildlife, and forested ecosystems in BC. It also includes case studies, adaptation strategies, and recommendations for building our capacity to adapt. (Summary)
- July 2013. This edition of ClimateNews highlights two carbon projects, Heritage Branch’s energy efficiency innovations and a new guidance tool for forest managers regarding stocking standards.
- April 2013. ClimateNews – Spring 2013. This newsletter highlights tools for climate change adaptation and mitigation, and the results of a recent climate change survey undertaken by the Association of BC Forest Professionals.
- March 2013. Climate Change Adaptation Workshop Materials: Managing for Resilient Forests and Ecosystems. Workshops were held in six BC locations in February and March. Materials are posted at: http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/ftp/HFP/external/!publish/ClimateChange/Workshops/
- Resilient Forests Newsletter No. 2: November 2012. This issue focuses on tools for fostering resilient forests. These tools include, e.g. climate change projections, adaptation workshops, Type 4 Silviculture Strategies, and the tree species selection tool.
- Resilient Forests Newsletter No. 1: February 2012. B.C.'s Forest Stewardship Action Plan for Climate Change Adaptation